CACalifornia DMV Vehicle Registration Renewal
Fast, Secure, and Easy-To-Use Registration Renewal Service | Trusted by the CA DMV
Get these benefits plus more when you put the experts at NEEDTAGS to work for you.
DMV Registration Renewal in California
- 1 - 10 Days Late - Additional 10% vehicle license and weight fee plus $10.00 DMV penalty and $10.00 CHP fee
- 11 - 30 Days Late - Additional 20% vehicle license and weight fee plus $15.00 DMV penalty and $15.00 CHP fee
- 31 Days - 1 Year - Additional 60% vehicle license and weight fee plus $30.00 DMV penalty and $30.00 CHP fee
- 1 Year - 2 Years - Additional 80% vehicle license and weight fee plus $50.00 DMV penalty and $50.00 CHP fee
- More Than 2 Years - Additional 160% vehicle license and weight fee plus $100.00 DMV penalty and $100.00 CHP fee
If you intend on renewing your California registration through the DMV either by mail or online and before obtaining and passing a smog check, please allow 30 days from the date your vehicle passes the smog inspection to receive your new registration card and sticker. If your registration is due to expire soon or for any reason you need to get your new registration card and tag as soon as possible, renew your registration through NeedTags.com. We will post fees with the DMV now so that you avoid late fees, and mail out your new registration card and sticker on the same-day which you obtain your smog inspection. For DMV in-person service, please make a DMV appointment prior to your visit.
This may or may not be convenient for you if your vehicle is required to have current tags in the state which you are located temporarily. Also when completing your vehicle's registration renewal through the California DMV, the smog exemption process takes approximately 30 days between the time you mail in the REG 5103 and the DMV reviews and authorizes it. If you choose to take this route, you may need to have someone at your mailing address forward your new registration to your out-of-state address once the DMV processes your renewal.
Smog Check Exemption Online: To avoid the hassle of filing your smog exemption by mail, or in the case that you don't have someone available at your mailing address to forward your new registration out of state, the better option is to use NeedTags to renew your vehicle's registration and to allow us to file your smog check exemption online. When you order registration renewal through NeedTags and you email us your REG 5103 instead of mailing it to the DMV, we'll process your renewal order without a smog check and mail your new registration card and sticker to your out of state address on the same business day on which we receive your REG 5103. We allow you to email us the REG 5103 form, which speeds up the process tremendously. This is absolutely the best method to renew your registration without a smog check when your vehicle is located out of state. This service is especially beneficial to RVers, students, and military personnel... but really to anyone who is temporarily out of state and needs new stickers fast. Note: Smog exemptions are not allowed when a vehicle is located in Nevada.
How To Order: If you'd like to file your smog exemption online, you may submit your registration renewal order now. Upon receiving our confirmation email, reply back with your REG 5103 attachment and we'll proceed with filing your exemption. You may submit your REG 5103 as a scanned PDF document or a photo/image taken with your smartphone. Please ensure your REG 5103 is of high resolution and cropped neatly if submitting a photo/image. If any corrections are needed, we will contact you before the filing. The additional fee for this service is $60.00. It will be billed to your credit card after you place your renewal order through our online registration renewal system.
The filing fee for military personnel stationed out of state is $40.00. Please ensure your REG 5103 states out of state military status as the reason for your smog exemption request.
Use this guide to complete a CA DMV Application for Temporary Smog Exemption the right way.
If you've already paid your renewal fees through the DMV, that's perfectly fine. Go ahead and place your order through the NeedTags registration renewal portal and reply to our Smog Check required confirmation email with your completed REG 5103 form. We'll charge the credit card you provided during order placement the additional smog exemption filing fee and complete your order. We highly recommend that you process both your registration renewal and smog check exemption through NeedTags.com as this will make your smog check exemption filing much more streamlined.
- California driver license or California identification card
- Social security number
- Last issued vehicle or vessel registration card
- Address in the United States
- DMV Registration Fee - $46.00 for initial registration/renewal.
- Vehicle License Fee (VLF) - Based on .65% of the value of your vehicle.
- Weight Fee - Applies to commercial vehicles. Determined by weight.
- County/District Fees - Between $7.00 and $47.00 depending on the county in which your vehicle is registered.
- Smog Abatement Fee - $20.00. Applies to vehicles which do not require a smog inspection.
- Owner Responsibility Fee - $7.00 fee for failing to appear on a citation, if applicable.
- CHP Fee - $24.00 authorized under CVC 9250.8, 9250.13, and 9552–9554).
Fees collected are distributed as follows: 40.7% to local government (cities/counties), 25.7% to the CHP, 13.9% to the DMV, 13.0% to Caltrans, 1.7% to the California Air Resources Board, 4.3% to other state agencies, and 0.7% to the general fund.